Sunday, April 03, 2005

God As Creation

There's something I've been wanting to talk about. Not about how the latest paper route campain is such a pain in the... uh, neck. Not how the web writing class is taking all my time. Not even how the web store is such a pain in the -- uh, neck -- to get started, re-installed, upgraded, built up, and so forth.

I realized at an early age that the conventional Christian view of God was all messed up. Maybe it was when the preacher at Grandma's funeral was talking about how Jesus would come through the clouds, and the dead people would get up and rise up into the air, to be with Jesus -- up in the air. Like a helium baloon, or a helicopter. It sounds like Night of the Living Dead, or night of the flying dead. What would the dead people do with Jesus up in the air? Fly around and throw body parts down on people?

Okay, enough nonsense. And this doesn't have much to do with the Pope (John Paul II) dying yesterday either. And I don't want to talk about God being some -- being -- siting on a golden throne up in the clouds. That's about the same thing as Jesus In The Air With The Dead People (to the tune of the Beatles' "Lucy in the sky with diamonds")

See, I had formulated this idea that when God created the Universe, he gave of himself into his creation. In creating the Universe, God became the creation. That's when I was, maybe 14 years old.

It's not such a terribly difficult concept. On the surface. For years, though, I've felt that I understood this concept intellectually. But I never really felt it. I never really knew this to be a truth. The mystics talk about a noetic experience -- one which can't be described in words, because we lack the experience and the vocabulary to deal with such a unique experience. The kind of intuitive impression where you just know something, without having to explain why or how; it just is. That's what I was missing here.

So, studying some of the mystical literature -- you probably think of it as "new age" junk -- I started to find confirmation of these ideas. There was the teacher who explained that the old Hebrew name for God, Jehovah, Yaweh, was used as a verb, not as a noun or pronoun. Yaweh means "I Am Godding," "I Am Creating," "I Am That I Am."

The Druids fascinated me. The Wicca people kind of bothered me. I don't know why. The Druids had this belief that spirit inhabited the forest, the creatures, the trees, the rocks. The Innuit in the Pacific Northwest had similar beliefs.

I have this book, The Hathor Material, by Tom Kenyon. It's a channeled book, from this ascended civilization called the Hathors. There's a connection to an ancient egyptian cow-headed goddes called Hathor. Here, just let me quote from the book, p. 125:

"... it is not that God created the Earth and the Universe so much as God is the process of creation itself and that God is inherent in the physical matter of the Universe. From our understanding, where you are -- God is. Creation is."

In the sacred Hindu text, the "Aitareya Upanashad",

Before the world was created, the Self
Alone existed; nothing whatever stired.
Then the Self thought: "Let me create the world."
He brought forth all the worlds out of himself:
Ambhas, high above the sky; Marichi,
The sky; Mara, the middle region that is earth;
And Apa, the realm of waters below.

From Genesis 1:1-2 in the Bible,

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and Darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

From John 1:1-4

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Well, I gotta go. That's enough for a blog entry. If you look around, you'll find some confirmation of the idea of God As Creation in more places than one.

No comments: